Tuesday, September 27, 2016

ALTER EGO #143

Of all the fine books and magazines published by TwoMorrows, Alter Ego is far and away my favorite. Editor Roy Thomas always presents informative, even surprising comics history in every issue of the magazine.

Alter Ego #143 [November, 2016; $8.95] cover features an interview with Don Glut, one of the most underrated comic-book writers of the 1970s. I’m talking “deserving of the Bill Finger Award” underrated. My full review of this issue will come after I’ve actually read it, but I’m excited about it.

Also in the issue, Thomas presents a comprehensive article on ACBA (The Academy of Comic Book Arts). Just skimming through the photos of comics friends and legends from the 1970s got me a little dewy with my memories of the era.

In addition...Michael T. Gilbert writes about his early beginnings as a comics artist while the “Comic Fandom Archive” covers one of the best-known (but not well-known) fan groups of the 1960s-1970s. There’s a memoriam to artist Jesse Santos, a lively letters column and, of course, the Fawcett Collectors of America section.

Alter Ego is always terrific. Check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment